WatchMojo is a Canadian-based privately held video content producer, publisher and syndicator website.
Why They're Rotten Now
- Most of their Top 10s rely on their fanbase to give suggestions, hence the meme "running out of ideas".
- This is also because they upload their lists too often (5 lists per day) which makes the idea of "running out of ideas" more true to the definition.
- Some Top 10s show that they're gullible of the fact that "digital, cellphones and internet can replace everything". For example, in their "outdated tech" Top 10, they believe a smartphone camera has the same (or even exceeds) power as a several thousand dollar digital cameras.
- Some Top 10s have poor research. Sometimes, they cannot decide on what they're dealing with; whether it be for the most fatal, controversial, or even worst.
- For starters, WatchMojo 90% of the time favors American research, likely due to America being the major root of most things (gaming, technology, creativity, etc) compared to other countries, which is incredibly biased regardless.
- Another shining example is the "Top 10 Overhyped Inventions that Flopped" video, where they put the Wii on #5 despite it selling more than 100 million units and being one of the most appealing consoles to the casual audiences.
- Yet another good example is the "Top 10 Mario Games of All Time" video:
- Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island was listed, despite technically being grouped with the Yoshi franchise more so than the Mario franchise.
- While talking about Super Mario Maker, the narrator says, "Hopefully we'll see it on the Switch soon. Please, Nintendo? Pretty please?", despite the fact that there was only one month left before Super Mario Maker 2 was to be released on the Switch. It's also worth noting that the game was announced on February 13, 2019, Nintendo Direct (three months prior), which should have been plenty of time to alter the script to account for this.
- They might list the wrong company behind whatever is being shown or misspell the name.
- This is because they mainly rely on Wikipedia as a reliable source, even though the site can contain misleading information as it can be edited by anybody.
- Sometimes, their top 10 games lists rely on critic scores, which aren't usually the most trustworthy source.
- Sometimes, there are background mentions in Top 10s, but they never show up in the Top 10 list, not even in honorable mentions. For example, "Top 10 E3 Fails" had a clip of Destiny at E3 2014, but it was never broadcasted in any of the positions nor honorable mentions, another example is "Top 10 Disappointing Games of 2017" had a clip of 1-2 Switch, but that wasn't in the Top 5. Top 10 Field Trips Gone Wrong had a clip that involved a high school teacher taking a student to a strip club which also involved the use of alcohol and tobacco which you know, for his 18th birthday, which also wasn't in the top 10 noir honorable mentions.
- For an easter egg mention; if you look up "watchmojo maplestory" on YouTube, Top 10 Worst Pay-To-Win Games is shown as the first few results, but MapleStory is not even on there.
- They uploaded their YouTube videos in 480p until 2015, when every other YouTube user by that time uploaded their videos in 720p or higher.
- Sometimes, the thumbnails are misleading. Top 10 Indie Game Cliches had a thumbnail of Terraria, but that game wasn't in the video, but if the person watched the video, its 16-bit character in the thumbnail is supposed to mean "retro graphics".
- When it comes to gaming, they expect indie developers to work hard as AAA developers like CD Projekt Red, Bethesda or even Microsoft Game Studios.
- They listed the Magnavox Odyssey in their "Top 10 Worst Video Game Consoles of All-Time", most likely because the Odyssey didn't age well compared to other old-school consoles despite being, you know, the first game console ever made!
- They have a history of stealing ideas for Top 10 lists from other YouTubers, sometimes even stealing list entries and quotes directly from the original YouTuber's video, which could be considered plagiarism. They also sometimes credit the "wrong" person for the commercials/trailers.
- Their infamous "Top 10 Hated Disney Animated Shows" video, which earned the wrath of Gravity Falls fans after the show placed at #7 due to it being "too dark for younger audiences". We kid you not. They also put Monster High on the list despite it not being owned by Disney.
- Their choices can be predictable. If it's about best games, Ocarina of Time will be #1. They are often obsessed with Nintendo games and franchises, such as Smash Bros and Legend of Zelda.
- Additionally, their choices in general appear to focus more on nostalgia than objective arguments. In the aforementioned "Top 10 Mario Games of All Time" video, their top three picks are the worst contenders; they put Super Mario Odyssey at #3 behind Super Mario 64 and, in turn, Super Mario Bros. 3 despite most critics and casual gamers agreeing that Super Mario Odyssey is objectively better than both other games. On top of that, they neglected to mention certain bad qualities, such as the Rainbow Ride missions in Super Mario 64 and some occasional lackluster levels in Super Mario Bros. 3.
- Some of their videos try way too hard to incorporate jokes into the video more than explain why something is on the list like this one.
- Even in the videos that don't have too many jokes, the jokes that are present are usually awkward, pointless, and unfunny.
- Odd choices in various VS videos such as Mario Kart 64 and Banjo Kazooie (even though they are some of the best n64 games of all time) beating Goldeneye 007 and Super Mario 64. Also, Bayonetta beating Kratos.
- In their "Pokémon vs Yo-kai Watch" video, they were extremely biased towards Pokémon and didn't give Yo-kai Watch a single point.
- They are very...very...VERY biased and show loads of favoritism towards the Hellboy franchise, basically putting the original movies in basically every superhero list that's good while demonizing the reboot and putting it in nearly every superhero list that's bad. They even rudely force Guillermo del Toro to make Hellboy 3 even though he has said it won't happen, showing they are toxic irate fans. They also say that these movies are the "glory days" of del Toro even though he's made good films before this. Also, del Toro didn't only direct these movies.
- In fact, they chose Hellboy over Spawn in their "Hellboy versus Spawn" all because his movies were better than the latter.
- They sometimes have very hypocritical choices for selections on videos, for example, in the Top 10 Iconic Cartoon Characters of All Time and Top 10 Iconic Cartoon Animals lists, they ranked Bugs Bunny above Mickey Mouse, however, in their Mickey Mouse vs Bugs Bunny video, they chose Mickey as the winner.
- They are insanely diverse about Disney, as much of their videos are focused on them, but in a mixed bag, some of their videos can range from videos looking they were made by a fanboy to anti-Disney videos, most notably top 10 lists about times where Disney was made fun of, plus, in "Top 10 Iconic Cartoon Animals", they even used a clip of Mickey's South Park portrayal as a way to close his section, which can be insanely offensive to Mickey Mouse fans.
- Whenever Sonic is brought up, they will try to make any jabs to Modern Sonic as they can, while giving heavy praise to Classic Sonic. Like in their Top 5 Ways to Make Sonic Good Again, their list is in a nutshell, "Sonic must be devolved back to 2D to be good again!", which is a generic and baseless excuse used by nostalgiatards and it has nothing to do with the game's quality whatsoever.
- Just like IGN, they are bias about Sonic and love angering its fandom for no reason.
- They also hold a heavy bias towards other franchises, such as Star Wars (with the exception of the prequels) and The Simpsons.
- Horrendous additional channels like JrMojo, which made stupid reasons to hate something good like Mary Poppins.
- Sometimes, they put harsh titles on their lists.
- Many of their later videos cover subjects that are very boring and/or random, leading many to speculate that they have run out of ideas.
- Its fanbase isn't any better, as sometimes, there are arguments about the rankings (most of the time relating to something being ranked lower than another), a good example is "Top 10 Sentient Vehicles", where most of the comment section consists of people raging about K.I.T.T from Knight Rider and Christine from the eponymous film being ranked lower than Thomas the Tank Engine (whom by the way was ranked at Number 1), with some of them even using stupid arguments such as Thomas being a locomotive and not a car or him being a children's character, which is some of the stupidest arguments ever.
- Their SJW "Top 10 Awful Truths" videos, in which they claim that certain movies and shows contained things they consider offensive when, in reality, they do not.
- For example, in their "Top 10 Awful Truths About TV Shows We Love" video, they claim that "How I Met Your Mother" includes sexism, predation, and the garbage "good guy"; that "Seinfeld" includes racism, sexism, and homophobia; and that the "Big Bang Theory" is sexist and riddled with stereotypes.
- In their "Top 10 Awful Truths About Animated Movies We Love" video, they claim that "The Incredibles" includes a minor getting his kicks from hurting others and that Scar from "The Lion King" is gay.
- In their "Top 10 Awful Truths About Movies We Love" video, they claim that Elle from "Legally Blonde" relies on stereotypes, that "Love Actually" contains low-key sexism, and that "Avatar" has a white savior complex.
- Their music lists are poorly written.
- In the list "Top 10 Important Albums in Thrash Metal History", they say that death metal is not allowed yet they include Symbolic by Death, which is a death metal album.
- In one list they called Cliff Burton (from Metallica) a guitarist. He was a bassist.
- In the list "Top 10 Progressive Rock Bands", they gave the worst presentations for Emerson, Lake & Palmer, and King Crimson. For ELP, they only included their ballads ignoring Karn Evil 9 and Tarkus. For King Crimson, they only included songs from their 80s albums which aren't prog, and ignoring songs from In the Court of the Crimson King and Red.
- Helped bring birth to many "Top 10" parody images memes.
- In one SMG4 video, they made fun of them, and it is hilarious.
- They apologized for naming Gravity Falls as one of their "Worst Disney Animated Shows", and later placed it at #3 in their "Top 10 Cartoon Shows of the 2010s" video.
- The VS videos are highly entertaining (With the exception of Pokemon Vs. Yo-Kai Watch), such as N64 VS PS1. (Although many of them are heavily biased.)
- They are against YouTube's copyright trolls.
- They can be very informative.
- The voiceovers are pretty competent, with legendary voice actor Todd Haberkorn working with them on several occasions.
These are their most famous videos. With the exception of "Most Disliked Videos on YouTube", these will also include videos with a much higher dislike-to-like ratio. This will also include WatchMojo Top 10's videos that have gotten viral with memes, etc.
- "Top 10 Saddest Anime Deaths"
- "Top 10 Hated Disney Animated Shows"
- "Top 10 Internet Trends that NEED to Die"
- "Top 5 Things Destiny 2 Managed To Improve From Destiny 1"
- "Top 10 Saddest YouTube Videos"
- "Top 10 Worst Singers"
- "Top 10 Most Overrated Video Game Franchises"
- "Top 10 Worst Hollywood Remakes"
- "Top 10 Anime Betrayals"
- "Top 10 Reasons Why the Star Wars Prequels are Hated" (remains with the highest dislike ratio)
- "Top 10 Good Songs by Terrible Bands"
- "Top 10 Reasons Why Bill Maher is Hated"
With over 50,000 dislikes at the time of this writing, this is the Top 10 list that started it all.
Proof that WatchMojo.com believes that "cellphones, digital and internet" can replace everything.