User blog:WENth100/Common Traits of Social Justice Warriors
Okay, so just recently user Emoticon Rules! asked "What is SJWs and what do they do that makes them infamous?". I think its time I make some clarifications about SJWs, as many people may not be very familiar with this concept, especially for those who aren’t too familiar with the recent turn of events on the Internet.
First of all, here's the very first defintion of "Social Justice Warriors" on Urban Dictionary:
- “A pejorative term for an individual who repeatedly and vehemently engages in arguments on social justice on the Internet, often in a shallow or not well-thought-out way, for the purpose of raising their own personal reputation. A social justice warrior, or SJW, does not necessarily strongly believe all that they say, or even care about the groups they are fighting on behalf of. They typically repeat points from whoever is the most popular blogger or commenter of the moment, hoping that they will "get SJ points" and become popular in return. They are very sure to adopt stances that are "correct" in their social circle.”
The term "SJW" used to be a positive one describing social activists. It wasn't until 2009 when the terms became negative. The current type of "SJWs" certainly do exist, not like how some left-wingers claimed that it's merely used to dismiss and mock progressive believes and it’s supporters (although they do have a point and some right-wingers do use this term to describe any left-leaning indiviual or liberal).
The modren SJWs are often "keyboard warriors" who expresses their anger/promote social justice by writing aggressive messages online and seldom IRL. They are most common on sites like Tumblr and LiveJournal.
The SJW stereotype is a person...
- ...of caucasian ethnicity. (other ethical groups like African or Asian exist)
- ...upper middle class socioeconomic status.
- ...with a western nationality.
- ...between the ages of 18 and 29.
- ...hailing from middle-class or gentrified neighbourhoods replete with wealthy parentage.
- ...who's simultaneously a hipster.
- ...who has obtained or in the course of obtaining gender studies and/or liberal arts degrees.
- ...who align themselves politically with leftist totalitarianism.
- ...who supports political correctness.
- ...obsessed with group identity.
- ...who use of overzealous and self-righteous rhetorics, as well as appealing to emotions over logic and reason.
Common Traits of SJWs
If you ever want to find out whether someone (or yourself) is a Social Justice Warrior, check out how many of the following traits the person in question possesses. Whether the person...
- ...believe that people or groups he/she opposes, or have different opinions from you, (such as the “alt-right”, MRA, GamerGate) shouldn’t have a platform to voice them.
- ...thinks that speech should be policed everywhere to avoid “triggering” or "misgendering" someone.
- ...is easily "triggered" and consider too many things as “offensive”.
- ...is constantly offended over other people (like the Mexicans or the Chinese), even when they are feeling perfectly fine.
- ...believes that discrimination (such as sexism and racism) is “prejudice plus power” and therefore can only be carried out by the majority instead of the minority.
- ...believes that “micro-aggression” is a serious issue that should be combated.
- ...spends most of his/her time complaining about various issues (especially online) but seldom come up with solutions to the problems he/she whines about.
- ...battles prejudice with more prejudice. For instance, believing that white people are biased towards blacks and Arabians then applying racism towards white; or that men are disrespectful towards women so act like a sexist towards males; or thinking that a company’s work environment isn’t diverse enough and attempting to solve the issue by stop hiring white and Asian people.
- ...counter “privilege” by giving it to the “under-privileged” as affirmative action.
- ...believes that white people bear guilt over what their ancestors did and/or must pay reparations to the descendants of those that their ancestors oppressed.
- ...thinks that “safe spaces” where opposing views are not allowed should be implemented in colleges and universities.
- ...combats “cultural appropriation” by enforcing the idea that people should never use things relating to cultures that are not their own. (similar to point 4)
- ...holds an indiscriminate attitude towards people and groups the person supports, share believes with or defend; even when it was revealed that the person/group in question has many wrongdoings (Sarah Nyberg/Antifa) this person still wholeheartedly support him/her/them.
- ...believes that people who don’t belong to a certain group should not be allowed to talk about things concerning the group.
- ...believes that men, white people and/or (especially white men) are inherently privileged.
- ...denies any chance of formal debate, out of fear that he/she will not be able to withheld his/her point and look bad.
- ...holds a strong “You're either with us or against us” ideology and will bash anyone who won’t take his/her side.
- ...attempt to force your opinions into other fields and onto other people regardless whether they accept it or not.
- ...believes that he/she are entitled to his/her opinion, even when the person in question is discussing a field that he/she have little knowledge of.
- ...feels self-important and believe anything he/she do should matter to others.
- ...has and encourages the "listen and believe" mentality.
- ...believes that "hate-speech" isn't free speech and should be criminalized.
- ...considers that areas of colleges and universities designated only for POC (spaces of color) aren’t racist.
- ...dismisses any criticism directed towards "progressives" while approving any criticism directed at "the alt-right", i.e. any criticism of Antifa, BAMN, or BLM automatically constitutes fascism or racism/any criticism of Anita Sarkeesian = misogyny/Trump and his supporters = anything unpleasant.
- ...has a severe case of victim mentality and believe that any attack on his/her position is an attack on him/her personally.
Add up the amount of traits you've collected:
- 1-3 traits is mild.
- 4-6 means that the person is most likely a SJW.
- 7 or more means that the person is a full-fledged SJW who probably lives in an echo-chamber.