Jump to navigation Jump to search
URL shorteners are often used to shorten URLs and somehow earn the users money for unknown reasons. They are best known for linking to malware, PUPs, scams, etc.
Why They're Rotten in General
- They shorten URLs so people won't know what comes in the beginning.
- Somehow, most of them claim they earn money via ads, which how it works is unknown.
- Ultimately, they are made by most people for downloads and stuff. Most websites and Discords have rules prohibiting this as prevention of scams.
- The ads are often times offensive/potentially unwanted, ranging from malware, pornography, or pop-up ads.
The Only Redeeming Quality
- There are good URL shorteners like goo.gl, youtu.be and discord.gg as they directly send you to the respective site.