Tumblr is a microblogging and social networking website founded by David Karp in 2007, and owned by Automattic Inc. The service allows users to post multimedia and other content to a short-form blog.
The service allows users to post multimedia and other content to a short-form blog. Users can follow other users' blogs. Bloggers can also make their blogs private. For bloggers many of the website's features are accessed from a "dashboard" interface.
- It is notorious for being overrun by Social Justice Warriors and other bad and annoying kinds of people, mostly of the far left. SJW is such a common phenomenon that the subreddit dedicated to mocking Social Justice Warriors is called r/TumblrInAction. In fact, it can even be considered that SJWs are to Tumblr as the far right is to 4chan.
- It also contains some of the worst, most chaotic, annoying and toxic fanbases/fans on the internet (no matter what fandom are you looking for). Their terrible behavior can even ruin other media for its users.
- Fanboy/Fangirl wars are very common.
- Like on most social media, any post made on Tumblr is public and can be widely dispersed, meaning that one wrong move and someone may accidentally offend someone and get dogpiled.
- Tumblr can also unintentionally encourage hive mind and group thinking. The fact that every single post is extremely public has the side effect of making people rely on others' opinions to determine their own.
- Like on DeviantArt, some of the users can be extremely toxic, using all kinds of excuses to direct hatred and prejudice toward others.
- Like DeviantArt, some of the pictures posted on Tumblr can be stolen by art thieves as well.
- Cyberbullying is rampant, and Tumblr does a very poor job preventing them. Tumblr's askbox system which allows anyone to anonymously leave comments even without registering can even leave an open window for bullying and harassment.
- At times, cyberbullying can get so bad it can drive people to attempt suicide. In October of 2015, for example, a then-15-year-old known as Zamii070 drew fan art of characters from the Cartoon Network original series Steven Universe with a slender version of the titular protagonist's thickly-built alien mother Rose Quartz. After Zamii070 was accused of shaming overweight of obese women and bullied into attempting suicide, her fans rallied behind her and waged a full-scale verbal war with the girl's oppressors until the show's writers were forced to get involved.
- Some users see problems and offensive content everywhere, some of the problems they mention are clearly exaggerated or made up.
- Many users on Tumblr encourage dangerous and harmful behavior such as doxxing, fat-acceptance, self-tattooing/piercing or even suicide.
- Some users also spread the mentality that make mental illnesses and illegal paraphilias such as pedophilia, zoophilia, and necrophilia look positive, as those with psychiatric problems are considered less privileged, and therefore are on moral high ground.
- Tumblr can encourage armchair activism and SJW instead of real activism and proper justice.
- The site is very notorious for creating countless made-up genders from a sexuality standpoint instead of a biological standpoint.
- As of mid-2017, they have a safe mode. Many people have complained about this since many appropriate photos/drawings (ducks, sandwiches, the sky, etc.) have been censored thanks to the lack of human moderation. It also does not help that some work-in-progress drawings get caught in the crossfire. Users under 18 cannot turn this off.
- As said above, Tumblr barely does anything about problematic people and content, and sometimes makes it even worse. For example, their recommendation system is extremely flawed and throws random posts from blogs on a user's wall and it is difficult to make them stop showing up, which can be especially problematic if it is an offensive/terrible/disgusting/unsettling content (reporting it rarely helps, since despite acting like they care, Tumblr actually won't do anything).
- The mobile version suffered from many bugs, mostly the profiles. Your profile would have an incorrect avatar and/or background, or your avatar would just be solid black.
- One user went as far as to claim they bombed the train tracks in New York that injured 29 people.
- It was also really notorious for being full of porn/various NSFW blogs. To make things worse, many of these blogs have rather questionable-at-best and/or even really nasty content. It also should be noted that most of Social Justice Warriors ignore or even support such blogs, which is an example of hypocrisy of people on this site. However, look at WIS #22.
- Disgusting fetish porn artwork sometimes even shows up, such as coprophilia (Feces) and zoophilia (bestiality).
- During the first few months of 2015, a community called "DDLG" attacked Tumblr (along with iFunny, Wattpad, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook) and even allowed children under the age of 18 to join despite its adult nature. They also flooded their questionable and inappropriate posts on SFW tags such as "princess" or "kitten", allowing children to easily find these posts and discover the community, even without using Tumblr or iFunny.
- The site has some of the most bizarre groups on the site. From encouraging shoplifting to fight capitalism, to glorifying mass murderers like Dylan Roof and Columbine and other forms of hybristophilia such as Ted Bundy and Charles Manson.
- They even created their own convention, DashCon, that backfired badly due to the organizers' terrible planning.
- It contains a lot of fake "non-binary" people that make actual non-binary people look bad.
- In November 2018, the Tumblr app was removed from the iOS app store. Apparently child pornography was caught being distributed on the site and the staff didn't take action despite numerous reports from users. After the app was removed, Tumblr blacklisted NSFW results from appearing in anyone's search and began taking down random blogs who didn't do anything wrong.
- In December 17, 2018, they announced that they were purging all NSFW blogs. They marked many clean things as NSFW, causing many users to abandon that site in favor of other sites like Twitter, as well as some Tumblr alternatives/clones such as newTumbl. It doesn't help the fact the new community guidelines are banning "female-presenting nipples". Yeah, you read that right.
- While Tumblr is hostile and chaotic for the most part, it's only fair to say that websites like 4chan are much worse.
- Tumblr also had the decency to ban porn even if the way they did it was sloppy.
- Like DeviantArt, it's possible to find good people and highly skilled professional artists who are not jerks, sickos, or idiots on Tumblr.
- Most of the problems are caused by the users, not the site itself. Though it doesn't excuse the fact that Tumblr has a really terrible moderation.
- The other part of the Tumblr community is not rotten.
- It started TheOdd1sOut’s career.
- Tumblr and Economy of Privilege
- Complete List of Tumblr Genders (SO FAR)