Tumblr is a microblogging and social networking website founded by David Karp in 2007, and owned by Automattic Inc. The service allows users to post multimedia and other content to a short-form blog. The service allows users to post multimedia and other content to a short-form blog. Users can follow other users' blogs. Bloggers can also make their blogs private. For bloggers many of the website's features are accessed from a "dashboard" interface.
- Like most social media, any post made on Tumblr is public and can be widely dispersed, meaning that one wrong move and someone may accidentally offend someone and get attacked.
- The site can also unintentionally encourage hive mind and group thinking. The fact that every single post is extremely public has the side effect of making people rely on others' opinions to determine their own.
- Some of the pictures posted on Tumblr can be stolen by art thieves as well.
- Cyberbullying is rampant, and Tumblr does a very poor job preventing it. One of the most common circumstances being Tumblr's askbox system, which allows anyone to anonymously leave comments even without registering and can even leave an open window for bullying and harassment.
- As of mid-2017, they have a safe mode. Many people have complained about this since many appropriate photos/drawings (ducks, sandwiches, the sky, etc.) have been censored thanks to the lack of human moderation. It also does not help that some work-in-progress drawings get caught in the crossfire. Users under 18 cannot turn this off.
- As said above, Tumblr barely does anything about problematic people and content, and sometimes makes it even worse. For example, their recommendation system is extremely flawed and throws random posts from blogs on a user's wall and it is difficult to make them stop showing up, which can be especially problematic if it is an offensive/terrible/disgusting/unsettling content (reporting it rarely helps, since despite acting like they care, Tumblr actually won't do anything).
- The mobile version suffered from many bugs, mostly the profiles. Your profile would have an incorrect avatar and/or background, or your avatar would just be solid black.
- In November 2018, the Tumblr app was removed from the iOS app store. Apparently child pornography was caught being distributed on the site and the staff didn't take action despite numerous reports from users. After the app was removed, Tumblr blacklisted NSFW results from appearing in anyone's search and began taking down random blogs who didn't do anything wrong.
- The app has very poor moderation and isn’t very polished.
- There is a dedicated fandom on Tumblr that worship school shooters
- Most of the problems are caused by the users, not the site itself. Though it doesn't excuse the fact that Tumblr has a really terrible moderation.
- It started TheOdd1sOut’s career.
- There are still plenty of good people on Tumblr
- They even created their own convention, DashCon, that backfired badly due to the organizers' terrible planning.