Jump to navigation Jump to search
TheTopTens is a list-making website where various topics are discussed. It is infamous for being one of the worst websites ever, and this page pretty much explains why.
Why It's Rotten
- The user-base is more often than not filled with the worst kinds of periphery hatedoms ever. The worst example is Disney's Frozen, but pretty much everything for kids will get this at some point. And then when you complain about how hypocritical and awful their "opinions" are, they say that just because it's their "opinion" means it's not wrong, when clearly they are wrong.
- Many users love hating preschool shows simply because they're for children, just like the Vyond community. The Top Five most over-hated baby shows are Barney & Friends, Caillou, Peppa Pig, Dora the Explorer, and Teletubbies. In fact, users even desire to assassinate the characters from these shows. An example is the following quote: "What if I burned the Teletubbies? Hopefully their deaths are gruesome." That is a prime example of Godwin's Law.
- Another one of the worst examples would be the one for celebrities like Justin Bieber, Nicki Minaj, Ariana Grande, Cardi B, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Rihanna, etc. Once again, Godwin's Law exists about these celebrities, and users even desire to assassinate them. Not only that, but many users even celebrate the deaths of the celebrities they hate like what some users made of XXXTentaction's death in 2018. This is an example of Disrespecting the Deceased.
- Many users hate things with toxic fan-bases just because of their fan-bases and nothing else. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is another example of that besides Disney's Frozen. Once again, Godwin's Law exists about both of them, and several more. They even have lists like "Top Ten Things You'd Like to Throw at Olaf" and "Top Ten Ways to Kill Rainbow Dash".
- Many of them are also Social Justice Warriors and/or Nostalgiatards. And to a lesser extent, some are even Anti-GamerGate.
- Many of them cannot handle criticism or respect opinions, either.
- Many users are immature, due to the fact that people aged 13 and older can register an account on this website.
- Many users tend to label things as "overrated" simply because people like them. Again, Frozen and MLP:FiM are the prime examples.
- When there isn't hate, there's circle-jerking.
- Comments with no grammar, and comments with no grammar complaining about people with no grammar.
- Lots of troll users, such as JustinBieberLover, BarneyTheDinosaurRocks, KoolGuy2218, RebeccaSpark, ModernSpongeBobRocks, and several more. And because you can vote anonymously, you can get away with spam trolling and a lot of the time the "visitors" (anonymous users) are worse than the registered users.
- The website is poorly scripted and filled with bugs. You can easily follow yourself and edit other people's comments if you know enough about web programming. It is also vulnerable to spam voting, comments and likes.
- You can get suspended unfairly for very stupid reasons.
- Many users cannot handle criticism. For example, when one user wrote a rant on the website, they responded with things like "Get out weakling!" and "Then what are you doing on here?".
- Lots of drama, controversy, fights, and arguments often happen on the site.
- Many of the lists they make are highly biased and notably inaccurate, even to "public list" standards. They actually believe that Dora the Explorer is the worst kids' show ever according to their lists of "Worst Kids' Shows of All Time" and "Worst Children's Show". Yet they don't know about much worse pre-school shows such as Tomorrow's Pinoneers and worse kids' shows such as Nick Studio 10.
- The site is also infamous for its backstabbers and hypocrites. Many users backstab people for no good reason at all, and are also two-faced and/or hypocritical. The two-faced users pretend to be nice at first, but eventually reveal themselves to be the jerks that they are later on. The hypocritical users will love something one minute, and hate it the next. That, or hate it one minute and love it the next. An example is VideoGameFan5. He claimed to love Disney's Zootopia at first, but later claimed that he in fact hated the movie the whole time.
- Some users (such as Rustlers) claim that cyber-bullying isn't real and that is just mean words on a screen when some of the victims of cyber-bullying can commit suicide. Rustlers are also responsible for many users' retirements. Predictably, they were glad over it, proving that they have no shame whatsoever in their terrible actions and are even proud of them.
- The site is filled with metalists who treat metal music as if it was a religion and bash other genres. Conversely, there are also many, many pop and rap music apologists.
- Many of the users are Moral Guardians, Edgelords, or just have no respect on everything they can't accept, and even make fake statements to "prove" their disrespect.
- Many users are racist and xenophobic. This includes the visitors.
- Many users bash on religions; for example, many users hate Islam and even post Islamophobic comments. Another example is Jehovah's Witnesses who (though less common than Islam) get loads of hate comments. And don't get us started on Christianity, and yet, they do nothing about Satanism.
- Admin has made terrible changes to this site that make it much worse. An example is on the list "Top Ten Worst Cartoons Ever", Fanboy and Chum Chum was taken off because apparently, being a CGI means it doesn't count as a cartoon. So by that logic, Foodfight! isn't an animated movie just because it's CGI. Right.
- Admin also won't take down lists that nobody likes for this reason. Examples include "Reasons Why Adventure Time Is Better Than Ebola" and its spin-off, "Reasons Why Ebola Is Better Than Adventure Time".
- Miraheze Stewards even added this site to the blacklist of links to external sites by the spam filter due to its toxic nature.
- Many users are too lazy to actually make a proper Top 10 list, so they just remix it in alphabetical order or just any arbitrary order.
- Some of the users of this site are from IMDb and Common Sense Media among other rotten websites, as well as Encyclopedia Dramatica. ED even wrote its own page about this site.
- A number of lists have been ruined by trolls. Perhaps the most infamous example is "Top Ten Episodes That Should Be Created In Season 10 of SpongeBob SquarePants". It started out as a somewhat neat list for SpongeBob episode ideas before trolls discovered it and proceeded to flood the list with episodes and episode plots containing content that would be inappropriate for SpongeBob such as assault and murder (SpongeBob Assassinates JFK), poop and pee (Different Way, which involves SpongeBob peeing into Sandy's mouth), nonsensical crossover episodes (Caillou Meets Spongebob), sex (Spandy Day), episodes with absurd lengths (Sandy Moans, which goes on for one year), ripoffs or combinations of infamous SpongeBob episodes (Another Pal for Gary, Two Coarse Meal, Doofus Shuffleboarding in the Kitchen with Gary, Are You Whatever Happened to A Pal for Gary's One Coarse Fired Doofus Face Splinter with Sandy's Little Yellow Baby Vision Buddies in the Wringer?), and even ideas that have nothing to do with SpongeBob (A Honey Badger Eats Caillou's Head). Although, certain ideas on the list are ironically funny (such as crossovers like FoxBob HoundPants and the "Band Geeks" sequels).
- What's ironic is that none of the episode ideas actually got made for season 10 of SpongeBob, likely because Nickelodeon doesn't accept unsolicited episode/script ideas, thus rendering the list ultimately pointless.
- Predictably, some of the more immature users ended up using the "Top Ten Episodes That Should Be Created In ((season X of) series)" format to list fictitious episodes of shows like Liv and Maddie, Barney & Friends, Teletubbies, Dora the Explorer, and Peppa Pig that involve the cast being beaten up, humiliated, or killed. Some of the ideas on those lists are taken directly from the Season 10 ideas list (practically all of these have Different Way on them), or are just different variations of hated SpongeBob episodes (examples: A Pal for Barney, A Pal for the Teletubbies, A Pal for Liv, A Pal for Peppa, A Pal for Dora, One Coarse Rooney, One Coarse Tubby, One Coarse Pig, One Coarse Dinosaur, One Coarse Dora, and ideas for those shows based on all the most infamous episodes of SpongeBob).
- There were two other lists for the purpose of tossing around SpongeBob SquarePants episodes without trolls ruining them, but predictably, the trolls found those as well (it doesn't help that people can no longer add new items to the Season 10 list) and made similarly terrible ideas, some of which were directly ripped from the Season 10 list (such as Different Way). Other items also went and made existing ideas worse (Spatrick Day was already a counterpart to Spandy Day, but one of the other lists turned it into a 10,000 hour special).
- The most popular list on the site "Music Artists You'd Like to Perform at the 2012 London Olympics Opening Ceremonies" is extremely flawed in many ways:
- First, the comments are way to over-liked and some entries like Jackie Evancho, Dimash Kudaibergen, etc. are bot-voted.
- 2012 Olympics are long gone and yet a lot of people are still voting and liking already over-liked comments, yet Admin does nothing about it.
- The majority of the entries on the Top 10 are taken over by Asian artists and British singers aren't even in the Top 50. The topic is London Olympics for crying out loud. Besides, what do BTS, Dimash Kudaibergen, and other ones on the list have to do with London Olympics?
- The popularity of that list spawned several spin-offs like: "Music Artists You'd like to see Perform at the 2018 Olympics Opening Ceremonies", "Music Artists You'd Like to Perform at the 2022 Tokyo Olympics Opening Ceremonies", etc. And, as a cherry on top, the 2022 Olympics (a winter one) will be hosted in Beijing, not Tokyo.
- The updates on the site are no better.
- In the site's earlier days, there were forums and the ability to down-vote comments, but they were later removed in an update for unknown reasons. However, it is most likely that the down-vote option on comments was taken down as part of "The Policy" because Admin is against people disliking other users' comments. Similarity, the lists "Worst Users of TheTopTens" and "Most Overrated Users of TheTopTens" were taken down, and users cannot list their least favorite users on their user page anymore. In addition, minus marks on comments that were thumbed down in the past no longer show up on the list, even when they still exist. However, voting thumbs up will lessen those minus marks, to the point that the minus marks will no longer exist.
- The site has a thing called "Generations" where each user comes from a specific era of the site. As of 2021, there are 21 Generations. However, the site didn't exist until 2005, so the current Generation should be Generation 16.
- Generations didn't seem to exist until around 2014, by which time the site was nine years old. Yet since then, the Generations just mention the year the user started. So when it was 2014, users joining then were Generation 14 when they should have been Generation 9.
- This also means that Generations 1-4 don't exist.
- Even if you have auto-correct disabled on your personal device, TheTopTens has auto-correct installed on the site and it is extremely frustrating. So if you were to mention The Da Vinci Code, it suddenly becomes The The Vinci Code. Plus, people often mention "gf", which gets auto-corrected to "girlfriend", but in fact, they're talking about Gravity Falls.
- The ability to make your own Top 10 lists is a solid idea on paper, but poorly executed.
- You can make your own version of lists called "remixes" where you can rank your personal choices for the Top 10 and add comments explaining your rankings. The more detailed the comments on your remix are, the more credit your remix gets in the ranking algorithm of the site.
- You can be entitled to your own opinion.
- There are a number of decent and good lists still on the site.
- Some lists are ironically funny to read.
- The majority of users still on the site currently are growing tired of the relentless Justin Bieber hatred on the site, considering the fact that he isn't even relevant anymore. To a lesser extent, they're also getting tired of the sheer vitriol aimed at "baby shows".
- Certain bad users either retire, delete their accounts, or get terminated from the site. This usually improves the site. But unfortunately, the same may happen to good users as well, which causes the site to suffer some more.
- You can report things that factually don't belong on a list, are misspelled, have the wrong images, or are duplicates. You can also report comments that should be deleted, if they are abusive, hate speech, misinformation, off topic, plagiarized, profane or explicit, trolling, unlawful, or unsupportive.
- At least there are some users who respect opinions and aren't toxic, but the majority of them have retired or left by now. Even worse, they delete their accounts or even get terminated. Worst of all, some users have actually died.