Many download sites (such as 4shared and Mediafire) have a known reputation for piracy, but there's something in the deep web, where people and trolls store nonsense to; "survey-to-download" sites, (the sites that have you do surveys to continue to your download, which may or may not have NO RULES (which mostly shrug off legal laws) when it comes to submissions).
These surveys are often used to try and make fake revenue or to troll people, and most of the time most websites don't use surveys for human verification, instead they use a program called captcha. So far, it's unknown where and when this trend had started.
Why They're Rotten In General
- Why do a survey in order to try and download something? You could just download it from any other website without taking a survey.
- Who's gonna upload a scammy file on a site that has no rules on what is being submitted?
- Most of the time, they're scams (ranging from MMO hacks that "think" they know their way around anti-hack systems, jailbreaks, piracy, etc).
- They often have no rules on what you can do on there, as they're mostly used for illegal hacking material such as code generators, etc.
- Even if a video/claim says "NO SURVEY", they are 90% of the time sarcastic with comments going like "WOOT" and "THANK YOU" with fake positive reviews.
- Despite the questionable survey-to-download system, it is unknown if anyone's successfully downloaded real files from these websites...