NOTE: Like Vyond, these issues may be caused by its fanbase which was known to make grounded videos, unless if you think that Plotagon is better than Vyond.
Plotagon is a 3D "animation software." The beta version was released in 2013 and the full version was released in 2014. In 2015, the website started to rise in popularity with grounded videos after many people quit Vyond, this page will discuss on how Plotagon has gone downhill since 2018 but it will also discuss on the flaws it had before it's downfall.
Why Their Business Sucks Now
- You can't have more than two characters in one scene. Plotagon's excuse was that the camera system can only handle two characters in a scene and that they would have to develop a new camera system that would support more. They said they were working on it, but it's highly unlikely as Plotagon doesn't usually keep a promise.
- You can't size a character, due to limitations of the software.
- Plotagon almost always fails to add user suggested features properly. An example was when they lied about adding the ability to have more than two characters in a scene, but users were enraged to find out they just added "extras" which were useless. They also tried to “add” walking in a lazy way by introducing walking scenes which are locked behind a paywall.
- You can't even make people walk. Plotagon's excuse was yet again, the camera system. They also questioned about AI and how would the character know where to walk despite the beta version already having the feature.
- Quite possibly one of the most broken animation apps ever. The infamous floating head glitch often occurs when you create a bald character like Caillou, which makes grounded videos made in Plotagon more creepy than funny. Secondly, character bone placements are completely off, making some characters look like they've broken their joints. Missing textures are also common.
- In the beta version, it had a more realistic style. Plotagon changed it to look more cartoony, while it's not awful, it looks like an early version of The Sims 4.
- The official Plotagon Channel went inactive in 2019, after the subscription update came out.
- They eventually did come back in late 2020, but only on their Twitter and Instagram accounts. It wasn't until next year they came back on their YouTube channel.
- Many of the good features from the beta version were removed.
- Unlike Vyond, Plotagon doesn't let you insert characters into a desired location in a scene.
- There are only two props (a phone and a video game controller), which are locked behind a paywall. The props are actually stuck in their hands, and if they do a action. Their arms don't even move.
- Aside from whats been stated on point #11, there are no other props or accessories, so when a character is supposed to be shooting a gun using the "Accusing" action, be prepared to see them shooting with their fingers.
- No drag-and-drop option, making you only place characters in select locations in a scene.
- In the bedroom scenes, you can't make the characters sleep for an unknown reason, so instead of laying down in bed, they will always appear to just be sitting awake on their bed.
- False advertising: Plotagon lied about extras (seen on point 3) and in the camera control trailer, the camera looks much more fluid and customizable. The trailer also featured more than 2 characters in a scene, but it wasn't included in the update.
- The mobile version is an absolute pain to use. The controls are unresponsive, the app crashes frequently and there's a lot of glitches.
- It's very unoptimized, and it can drain the battery of your device pretty fast.
- Plotagon mocked their own community.
- Despite the TTS voices costing $5 each, some users that have TTS voices installed can use their own TTS voices for free due to a bug with the mobile version of Plotagon. However, they will not be used in the actual video, which forces users to record the video using a screen recorder like Mobizen.
- The app has an anti piracy measure when the app is on while on the internet, causing many users to use the app while offline just to use many of the backgrounds, characters, and clothing for free.
- The "animation software" hasn't received a major update in a very long time, as the result, the "animation software" gradually broke over time.
- Due to the extreme amount of glitches, and the fact it's very unoptimised and crashes often for mobile, it's become nearly impossible to make a video.
- It was known for promoting Caillou Gets Grounded videos, going to the point they literally added Caillou's shirt (referring to it as "Annoying T-shirt"), which could result in Plotagon getting sued by the creators of Caillou for copyright infringement!
- Many of the features from the beta version were removed, some of which included the ability for characters to walk and further actions between two characters (ex. punching).
- It started to have micro-transactions after 2015.
- In 2018, many of the clothing items which were free, now costs money to use. Even clothes cost money.
- In 2018, they removed the newer Joey and Jennifer voices due to the fact that their license for Cereproc voices expired, replacing them with voices from Acapela, while they are somewhat better than the Cereproc voices, the Rod and Karen voices aren't that much of an improvement over the Joey and Jennifer from Cereproc.
- In 2019, Plotagon decided to discontinue Plotagon Story on Windows and Mac for no reason, forcing many Plotagon users to move to the IOS and Android version or to Plotagon Studio.
- In late 2019, the subscription update caused users to lose all of their purchases and you were no longer able to buy specific scenes, clothings and characters separately anymore, the staff were oblivious when everyone's purchases were removed when the subscription came out.
- It's much cheaper than Vyond, it's even free to use on iOS and Android and you can even get a free trial to use Plotagon Studio (which is version used for businesses and was also the version that replaced Plotagon Story for Mac and Windows).
- The website used to be decent during 2013 to early 2018, since it was before they removed fan favourite features and it was also before they introduced the subscription update.
- Even though Plotagon Story for Windows and Mac has been discontinued, you can still use that version if you still have it, but you can't log into your account nor buy anything from the shop.
- There are some great users who use this platform like Michael Mixer Mason, TheAveragePlotagoner and Mario Buitron.
- The music by Kevin MacLeod is pretty good.
- You can pitch shift the TTS voices, unlike Vyond.
- While you can't add your own music and sound effects on Plotagon Story, you can add your own music and sound effects on Plotagon Studio.
- Characters can do different actions with each other (ex. kiss, slap, hug).
- They host contests in which you can win a Golden Ticket, if you win the contest. You will get everything in the store for free.
- Some of the videos are pretty funny and even creative, depending on your view.
- Even though things cost money in Plotagon, it's somewhat understandable for them doing this because if everything was simply free on the app, Plotagon would go bankrupt.