Newgrounds (collectively Newgrounds.com, Inc.) is an American online entertainment and social media website and company. It hosts user-generated content such as gaming, filming, audio and artwork composition in four respective website categories. While AOL and Geocities had statically hosted user-generated content, Newgrounds provided visitor-driven voting and ranking of user-generated animations.
The site's founder and owner, Thomas "Tom" Fulp, founded the site and company in 1995 and produces in-house content over at the headquarters and offices, based in the Glenside neighborhood of Cheltenham Township, Pennsylvania.
- There is no quality control let alone standards at all. This means that anyone can upload pretty much anything there, hence the site is flooded with ATROCIOUS content, and there is also a lot of content that is offensive, forced, annoying, disturbing and made for trolling. "Everything, By Everyone" indeed.
- It has one of the most toxic and chaotic audiences on the Internet. E.g.: Toilet humor and dick jokes are very common; most of the adult content is very edgy; forums can be a complete mess.
- It brought us some terrible people like Zone Toons, Shädman, and Gonzossm.
- Overuses mascots.
- It's even more filled with porn than Tumblr! Especially the art section. Speaking of Tumblr, after its purge of NSFW content, Tom Fulp called the porn artists from there on Newgrounds, which made it even worse.
- Back in 2005, a trolling group called The Barney Bunch posted loads of inappropriate flashes, and it almost ruined the site. In fact, HiT Entertainment threatened to sue Newgrounds because of their activity.
- Thankfully they were banned from Newgrounds.
- It has an age rating system, but it's obviously useless. There is also no E10 Rating, so the line between Everyone and Teen in the site is pretty thin.
- None of the movies with copyrighted music get frontpaged or any other of the medals. In fact, the mods delete many of them. This is sad because Newgrounds never did that before in the 2000s. And they frontpaged some of the movies!
- It still has a lot of good flashes like There She Is!!!, Retarded Animal Babies, The Impossible Quiz series, the Tankmen series, and the Madness Combat series. Art and music sections have a lot of goodies too.
- There are still many funny videos and animators such as Oney, HappyHarry, Egoraptor, Kirbopher, Oska (Oska Software, inactive as of 2012), Brawl Taunts, Eddsworld (RIP), etc.
- Despite various problems, Tom Fulp is actually not a bad person, even though Newgrounds is a hellhole.
- It's much better than DeviantArt and Tumblr at times.
- Though it doesn't really work, at least they still have an age rating system (E for Everyone, T for Teen, M for Mature, A for Adult. The latter is only available for logged-in people and it's disabled by default).
- It has a lot of nice technical things most Flash-oriented sites do not have.
- They were revolutionary in the 1990s and 2000s, with classic games like Pico's School.
- Like Google+, Social Justice Warriors are non-existent on that site.