Note: Not to be confused with Karen, Plankton's computer wife from SpongeBob SquarePants, or Karen from Kirino Mosaic.
"I think it's time we finally talk about the true victims of the coronavirus lockdown and quarantine which is of course the middle-aged short-tempered Karens. These brave women have been trapped at home for the last month with no one to complain to except their anti-vax Faceook groups, no one to yell at besides their husbands, no managers that they can speak to. They have all this rage bottled up inside of them but nowhere public to meltdown and let it all out in a nuclear explosion of screeching and screaming and threatening lawsuits. But the good news is things are opening up again which means the Karens now can go back out into society and make it a worse place."— penguinz0
Karen is a term used to describe narcissistic entitled middle-aged blonde bob haired white women who have been caught on viral video freaking out over minuscule things. The origin of the term is fairly unknown but theories suggest it comes from a scene from White Girls, a scene from Goodfellas, or a Reddit post called /r/FuckYouKaren. While most Karens are usually middleaged white women, on rare occasions male Karens (usually referred to as a "Ken", "Kyle" or "Kevin") and even non-white Karens appear from time to time. Young girls with the same personality type are often called Karens-in-training.
Why They Are Rotten
- Karens are control freaks and demand service in businesses despite having a less than pleasant attitude. This leads to the popular term, "Can I speak to the manager?" often associated with Karens.
- Many Karens can easily feel threatened and call the cops over nothing. This wastes resources and patience with the police.
- It takes very little to set a Karen off. One Karen went nuts because some teens took a branch from a blueberry bush.
- Many Karens are snitches that call the police on or even attack anyone they believe is not following guidelines during the pandemic.
- On the other hand, many Karens are on the opposite extreme and refuse to wear masks (since they claim to have a medical disorder) and throw massive tantrums when stores refuse service to them out of risk of spreading COVID-19.
- Many Karens are racist and tell people of other races to go back to where they came from. Some can also be homophobic (Mainly with Mariteses a.k.a Filipina Karens).
- Some Karens can also be SJWs.
- Like SJWs, they often double down on their stupidity and learn nothing when they are mocked online. The woman pictured above has acted with poor behavior in Walmart and towards a driver dumping garbage several times.
- Sometimes Karens can get violent and even spit on people and this is while we're under a pandemic.
- When they have their tantrums, they can cause vandalism and minor destruction in stores.
- They give shame to saner women named Karen, like Karen Gillan for example.
- They give false information to get their way. One Karen created a fake group called the Freedom To Breathe Agency so she can be exempt from wearing a mask and sue anyone that tries to get her to put one on.
- The Freedom To Breathe Agency even sold fake "Mask Exempt" cards containing false information claiming that businesses denying service will be fined. They looked falsely convincing that the FTBA was a government agency and even had a US Department of Justice insignia. Thankfully, they stopped selling the cards after the US Department of Justice became aware that the cards were violating the use of the DOJ insignia and publicly warned people that the cards were fake and not issued by any real government agency.
- Because it applies to women, some feminazis believe the term is misogynistic and want it banned. Some even go as far to say it's equivalent to the "N" word, not taking into account a line John Mulaney said in a comedy routine: "If you're comparing the badness of two words and you won't even say one of them, that's the worse word."
- Other SJWs, however, want to turn "Karen" into a politically and racially charged term.
- In fact, there is going to be a "Karen" movie made by SJWs meant to do this.
- They often believe in utterly ridiculous conspiracy theories and false information despite significant scientific evidence proving otherwise. A notable example includes resistance to vaccinating their children due to worrying it will cause autism, 5G causing the spread of the coronavirus (some Karens even destroyed cellular towers in response), etc. This also spread the "5G Oxygen Frequency" meme.
- A lot of Karens are moral guardians.
- Not only that the Karens were control freaks, but they even act like Trina Riffin (who is the main antagonist of Grojband, and also a mean-spirited sister of Corey.) and Eva from Total Drama, due to how they rage and also being short-tempered and annoying (but not going into Diary Mode unlike Trina did.) without taking Anger Management classes whatsoever.
The Only Redeeming Qualities
- Karen freakouts can be quite hilarious (Grust and Glitchedblood get some good laughs).
- There are tons of jokes to be made about them such as finding a wild Karen or Male Karens (aka Kens, Kyles or Kevins) being rare. Grust even calls the Karen pictured as the Queen Karen.
- Karens actually face the consequences of their actions. One Karen who called the cops on a black man who told her to put her dog on a leash lost her job and had her dog taken from her for animal abuse, though the dog was later returned. To rub some salt in the wound, a new law was made that would make racially biased police calls illegal was called the "Caution Against Racially Exploitative Non-Emergencies or CAREN act.
- They are a good example of how you should discipline your children to not become like these people.
- Karens, particularly the racist ones, seem to be one of the very few phenomena that actually motivate some SJWs to acknowledge that women, not just men, can engage in harmful actions.
- The now-infamous "Karen haircut" used to depict these people comes from American television personality Kate Gosselin, known for Jon & Kate Plus 8.
- Sometimes, Jenny McCarthy's bob haircut is used to depict them.