Internet Explorer (formerly Microsoft Internet Explorer and Windows Internet Explorer, commonly abbreviated IE or MSIE) is a series of graphical web browsers developed by Microsoft and included in the Microsoft Windows line of operating systems, starting in 1995.
In 2015 Microsoft announced that they discontinued Internet Explorer, and replaced it with Microsoft Edge.
Why it's Rotten
- It was essentially the only browser, the only other options of web browsing other than IE were Opera, Phoenix, and the dying Netscape.
- It was really slow, unsecure and unstable.
- It took them a very very long time to release a browser that even somewhat conformed to the standards, resulting in a broken internet for years.
- Even Microsoft knows that this web browser is bad, as seen in this commercial.
- ActiveX is a security hole.
- Without this web browser, we wouldn't have the awesomeness that is Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox.
- By IE11, most of the features that people criticised for Internet Explorer were fixed.