Facebook (Early 2010s-present)
"Facebook is the Fallout 76 of social media networks regardless of what you think."— SomeOrdinaryGamers
Facebook (stylized in all lowercase) is an American online social media and social networking service owned by Meta Inc.(formerly a namesake company) based in Menlo Park, California. Its website was launched on February 4, 2004, by Mark Zuckerberg, along with fellow Harvard College students and roommates Eduardo Saverin, Andrew McCollum, Dustin Moskovitz, and Chris Hughes.
Why Their Business Sucks Now
- They sell stolen user information.
- Some of their staff consists of SJWs, including Mark Zuckerberg, who blasted a Facebook staff member for replacing "Black Lives Matter" with "All Lives Matter."
- Clickbait is highly rampant on the site. There are a lot of posts from garbage publications such as Gawker, Elite Daily, UNILAD, LADbible and BuzzFeed.
- Marketplace, while it can be useful to buy different products, is full of stupid items like people selling normal stones, Cheetos, wallpapers, items with a exaggerated price and other things, besides these section have mediocre moderation because the moderation rarely delete stupid posts like "No vendo" (I don't sell) posts, plus it's full of scammers, gentlemen who don't know how to use it and people who think they're funny.
- There are a lot of pages on the site that post identical content. Many pages that rely on Black Humor use this for easy like or view revenue.
- It suffers from biased moderation akin to that on Twitter.
- Similarly to Twitter, they blocked an article from New York Post that exposed some shady tactics from Joe Biden and his son Hunter Biden, claiming that they need to "fact check" the article first.
- You can easily get a person banned on Facebook by reporting them of false crimes, with the "fake name" one being incredibly effective. You can change your name for the first time and return but they can report you right instantly and Facebook will tell you to present personal documents which could be easily used by that person to dox you.
- If you unblock a person, you can only block them again after two days.
- You cannot use anything resembling an internet name, making personal information mining easier.
- Because of their actions, Facebook lost a lot of money in advertisement revenue. Many users haven even deleted their accounts as well.
- They even work together with Buzzfeed, Vox and other millennial related news outlets to create content for them.
- Extremely annoying notifications. For example if you comment on a post, you can get notification like "X also commented on X post" which gets really annoying.
- They shut down many alt-right pages such as Richard Spencer, yet pages such as Antifa remain safe.
- Manipulated trends are everywhere on the site.
- Rampant censorship such as removing the metal band, Graveland, from Facebook due to the band's black metal image and content.
- The site does nothing to prevent content from being stolen from other sites (a practice known as freebooting), usually videos from YouTube with poor quality, borders over and below it with captions like the infamous "Lmao, who made this" and overuse of emojis included. The worse part is that the site seems to encourage it because those stolen videos uploaded directly to Facebook as a video file are prioritized by Facebook's algorithm more than the original video being shared via YouTube.
- There are many repetitive and frequent "comedy" pages that solely rely on offensive and shock value and edginess to be popular.
- Their media player is generally poor.
- Just like Twitter, they censor and ban Conservatives and Libertarians on their platform for merely espousing views because they believe they're spreading hate speech which they're not. But unsurprisingly, they allow violent leftist groups such as Antifa and the radical part of BLM that promote actual hate speech and Islamic extremists like Hezbollah and HAMAS to promote Antisemitism. Hypocrisy at its finest.
- In addition, whereas controversial topics can get users banned or attacked for "hate speech", harassment, rape and death threats to the point where people are driven to commit suicide face no consequences at all. In most cases the people responsible for said action rarely get punished.
- Just like when they banned Paul Joseph Watson, Milo Yiannopoulos, Ben Shapiro, and others.
- However, the banning of Milo and Paul Joseph Watson were more justified as Milo was a pedo and Paul Joseph Watson believed in Far-right ideology.
- It can also be filled with pedophiles that they pose as younger people, which can be very dangerous.
- They have been collecting biometric data (for face recognition and similar features) from users without explicit permission and some new users not being aware about it. This led to a lawsuit in August 2020 as it is illegal for websites to collect biometric data without explicit permission in Illinois.
- Their new layout is terrible.
- Unnecessary updates.
- The most infamous one being where they deleted the nicknames, and view photos and videos features in Messenger which lead to some users nitpicking about it. Fortunately they were brought back in 2021.
- For some reason, you can't have more than 5000 friends.
Why The New Facebook Design Sucks
- On your computer, it looks more like a mobile view.
- Slows down your computer even worse.
- Its very unstable and sometimes won't load the posts and notifications.
- Buggy duration in posts. For example if the post is posted 16 minutes ago and 1 hour passed since the post, they stay that this post is posted 16 minutes ago.
- Some abilities, notably the ability to remove defunct groups from your groups page and switch between a personal account and a page to post a comment, have been taken away.
- As of September 2020, it is no longer possible to bring back the old layout without extensions or logging out of your account and load any group pages. Now as of January 26, 2020 all extensions related to switch back to the old layout that still worked such as Switch to old classic design or Change design to old version are now toned down in use of the semi-classic version, but despite this, it still works like the new version and slows down the computer even more worse than before and is no longer possible to revert back to the old layout.
- In Revert Site extension attempting to revert back using this extension, it refreshes endlessly.
- In December 2020 was no longer possible to have the full experience of the old Facebook layout. The result is that the homepage won't work and everytime that you click a page, it refreshes instead of redirecting directly.
- It's just Facebook with blue letters, and that's it!
- Back in earlier years, the site used to be good until early 2010s.
- Although MySpace kind of did it first, it was a revolutionary idea when it came out in 2004 and helped popularize the concept of social media.
- They have removed 800 accounts relating to clickbait and political spam.
- Thankfully they start removing Antifa accounts online showing that they realize the threat of extreme leftists on social media and slowly become less biased to the right nowadays.
- They have officially banned paid advertisements relating to vaccine hesitancy.
- They actually take down some of the accounts that violates the guidelines like Ahenobarbus Henocied.