Disclaimer: This website is just a joke, please don't take it seriously.
Encyclopedia Dramatica (often abbreviated as ED or æ) is a NSFW/NSFL satirical "wiki" that lampoons encyclopedia topics and current events, especially those related or relevant to contemporary Internet culture (especially memes). It often serves as a repository of information and a means of discussion for the internet subculture known as Anonymous.
Julian Dibbell described Encyclopædia Dramatica as the site "where the vast parallel universe of Anonymous in-jokes, catchphrases, and obsessions is lovingly annotated, and you will discover an elaborate trolling culture: Flamingly racist and sexist content lurks throughout, all of it calculated to offend."
The site was founded by Sherrod DeGrippo, who goes by the online pseudonym "Girlvinyl", after being inspired by a series of events on LiveJournal's Drama community.
Why It's Rotten
- Being a satirical website, every article on it is designed to insult and trash its subject, even if the article is about Holocaust victims, school shootings or a terrorist attack.
- It has absolutely no qualms about using racist and sexist slurs.
- The site has a tendency to call you a "faggot" and make fun of you. They even have a "faggot of the year" award made to mock other users.
- Like RationalWiki, the articles are written in the snarkiest way possible in order to offend the reader as much as possible.
- Again, like RationalWiki, many of its articles are either poorly sourced or barely sourced at all.
- Many people who have an article on this site have had their personal information posted on it as well (which is why KotakuInAction has blacklisted it).
- The site seldom takes anything seriously.
- Even its own founder came to dislike it eventually and tried to replace it with Oh Internet, which didn't end well for her.
- At one point, it had pop-up ads when you clicked on a new page, mostly "HOW TO EARN MILLIONS" scams or even porn. Thankfully, they were removed.
- When TV Tropes made a page on ED, some of the site's users bullied, stalked and threatened hundreds of tropers, even those who weren't involved in the creation of the Encyclopedia Dramatica article, until the page was taken down, solely because it was somewhat critical of the site.
- One user actually went on a mass shooting.
- They also have no loyalty to their readers either. As mentioned above, they call people "Faggots" or other slurs.
- Contains many, and we mean many, highly NSFW/NSFL images.
- Speaking of NSFW/NSFL images, be very aware of "The Pain Series", "Offended" and "Reporting Un-Islamic Content" pages, as they are designed to ruin your appetite and/or sanity.
- Even worse is that the "Offended" link is placed at the top of any inflammatory pages and intended to offend readers even further. at the bottom page as an external website will lead into Last Measure website.
- Even much worse is that the "Reporting Un-Islamic Content" link is placed at the top of islamophobic pages.
- They write pages on even the nicest people with autism, Asperger's syndrome and ADHD, claiming they have done things they regret doing multiple times and still do them, as well as things they haven't done at all (See Point #4 on Redeeming Qualities heading). Not only does this already add insult to injury regarding the poor sourcing, but it can also get them in legal trouble (see #14).
- They are full of hypocrisy.
- The site's moderators don't care about anyone and won't do a thing to help someone who is being slandered on the site.
- One user faced a libel lawsuit of £10,000 for calling a counsellor a pedophile in order to smear him falsely.
- Some pages on the site have viruses on them. Crimson Mayhem said that when he went to Mr. Enters ED page, he received a virus and had to do a hard reset on his computer.
- Due to being anti-political correctness, they shared the same traits with Kiwi Farms.
- If you're there to complain on their talk page, there's a chance that you might get trolled.
- Some pages are unnecessary.
- There are spam bots on that site.
- It's basically Wikipedia, but more NSFW.
- They also block users from editing wiki pages that lie about people.
- Like Wikifoundry, it's also unreliable, ranging from failing to load images to the whole website showing a "5XX" error.
- As the site is designed to insult everyone and portray them as negatively as possible, it panders to no-one.
- When not tackling touchy subjects, its articles can be very comical at times. A great example would be their page on TheTopTens.
- They actually make some valid criticism sometimes, although readers will most likely be too offended to pay attention.
- If you are in search of eccentricity, ED can be a decent source along with Kiwi Farms. However, again, as stated WIR Point #12 about autism.
- They cannot target you most of the time unless you do something that is stupid enough to attract their attention. The typical internet user has close to no odds to be targeted by them.
- Most of their content were never meant to be taken seriously, as they're satire for the sake of satire.
- They outright state they are just a joke.
- Some people have changed their behavior after reading the ED article somebody wrote on them.