"The trolls are winning." – Ellen Pao
Ellen Pao (Chinese: 鲍康如, Bào KāngRú) is a corporate lawyer and the former CEO of Reddit.
She was known for the sexual harassment lawsuit she was engaged in with her former employer, venture capital firm Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, as well as her numerous controversial decisions as Reddit CEO, which generated a wave of controversy that culminated in Pao stepping down. She was such a controversial character that a petition was launched to replace her as Reddit CEO and received more than 150,000 signatures.
Why She's Rotten
- She will relentlessly censor any criticism directed at her on Reddit, as well as any mentions of her multiple anti-discrimination lawsuits, or her husband Buddy Fletcher and his economic and criminal troubles.
- She also tried to turn Reddit into a “safe space” by deleting anything that she considered inappropriate, and trashed Yishan Wang’s beliefs that no legal content should be censored.
- She’s responsible for ban of five subreddits on June 10th, 2015: /r/fatpeoplehate, /r/hamplanethatred, /r/transfags, /r/neofags, /r/shitn*****say. Despite many of these subreddits containing hateful speech, Pao was still criticized for deleting these communities and SJW-like censorship. This resulted in the creation of subreddits like /r/ellenpaohate and /r/paomustresign, as well as VOAT’s servers overloading due to all the migrating redditors.
- Pao is also an unpleasant person to work with, constantly saying negative things about colleagues behind their back and bullying them at times. Back in 2009, Pao’s assistant asked for taking some time off work to help her landlord (who was injured in a car accident). Pao chastised her and told her that “your job should be your priority”.
- Likes to blame many issues in Silicon Valley or in the tech industry in general on sexism and racism.
- Her failed lawsuit with Kleiner Perkins (one of the most female-friendly venture capital firms in Silicon Valley) is a notable example, where she claimed that she was placed at a disadvantage in promotion by male junior partner Ajit Nazre with whom she had a romantic affair before it ended badly and costing her promotional opportunities. While in reality is that she's simply not competent enough and unlikeable in general.
- Needless to say, most people didn't buy her nonsense, ABC Nightline once invited Pao for an interview to talk about sexism in what they call the "Silicon Valley Boys Club", and boy, that like-dislike-ratio says it all.
<comments voting="Plus" />