"Art reflects life. Life reflects art. And I think that kids need to see what's happening in the world. I would hate to live in a world that was sanitized and censored."— Marc Brown
Censorship is the suppression of speech public communication or other information. This is because of some material that is considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or inconvenient. Censorship is used by governments, private institutions, and other controlling bodies. Censorship also is present on the internet.
- YouTube has become a cesspool notoriously filled with lots of censored content ever since Susan Wojcicki became the CEO of the website. Videos keep getting censored for no reason, while videos that break the guidelines are still on with no warnings. Swear words on subtitles are censored as well, and cannot be turned back off.
- Sony started to censor some games on their modern PlayStation consoles, but the policy has been heavily panned by fans because they allow western AAA games to contain profanity, sex, and nudity, but not voluptuous anime girls doing harmless things like wearing a skimpy bikini in a provocative pose. In other words: hypocrisy.
- Nintendo also had censored games like the SNES port of Mortal Kombat, mostly because they wanted to keep a family-friendly library of games for their Nintendo Entertainment System and Super Nintendo Entertainment System video game consoles. However, they have stopped doing that practice and even stated that they will not censor games on their Nintendo Switch console as a response to Sony's controversial censorship policy.
Why It's Rotten
- First off, you got these moral guardians, SJWs, and religious nut-jobs who want something to be censored just because they find it "hostile". Some examples include fanservice and violence.
- Censorship can be used to deny any criticism such as deleting a comment or muting someone who is giving constructive judgement. Same can be said about using it to scorn an opinion.
- Sometimes, censorship can be unnecessary. So what else is there to say?
- Depending on what kind of censorship it is. Hate speech is often present there as they just want something to be censored or go away.
- Certain supporters of censorship often use censorship as a tool of anti-freedom of speech, equality, religion, etc.
- Not even the entertainment industry is safe from censorship. Examples include the Ocean Dub of the Dragon Ball series, the 4Kids Dub of One Piece, the Japanese version of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Street Fighter V, etc.
- Censorship supporters act like they can make the world be just as they wanted to be (or seen in their own image). This proves how selfish they are as they would want creative freedom to die all because of one thing they found vile.
- Petitions. You see, the petitions that play a role in censorship can be ranged for downright impossible as the idea of using a petition to censor media would never work like that as online petitions such as One Million Moms and Change.org can be seen a butthurt.
- Some individuals who embrace censorship don't seem to be bothered that not everything is meant for kids if they are using "kids are watching it" as an excuse. So why do they need to be worried if they should know that a certain media is only for a demographic that does not involve children (like a media meant for teens and adults). One example of this would be the Parents Television Council attacking Family Guy despite being an adult cartoon.